Habits are powerful. Anything we can put on auto-pilot gets done with so much more ease and simplicity. The now-classic book, The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, tells us all the reasons why and is a great starting place to harness this power. I’ve read many books on the habits and is something I can see as a key to success, but also bad habits lead to living a life that is not headed the direction you desire.
In the past when I would think about habits, I really just wanted to start over with a completely clean slate and reinvent everything about my life. You know, the drill: Tomorrow I’ll wake up at 5 am and exercise and pray and meditate and eat a high protein breakfast and stop eating sugar and speak softly to my kids and take a salad for lunch and drink my body-weight in water and get through my to-do list and make a healthy dinner and get to bed early.
Right! Those lofty new habit goals have never gotten me past Day 2. Here’s why….according to the book, the golden rule of changing habits is that you can’t extinguish a bad habit, you can only change it.
So let’s talk about a mini-makeover on habits. Something real moms can actually do. Like everyday. Because what’s the point of a new habit if you can’t keep it going?
Mornings are a great place to start, but really we have to back that up to bedtime because mornings can’t change if we have stacked the odds in our favor the night before. Start there. Then you can pick a morning habit to test out. Success breeds more success so let’s set ourselves up for it. Easy, steady wins to create momentum.
Here are some ideas of mini habits you could pick from.
Just pick one and try it on for size this week. See how you do. And then come back and share your results.
Mini Bedtime Habits
- Get in bed 30 minutes earlier than usual
- Put your phone to bed an hour before you go to bed.
- Clean up your kitchen and give your morning self a clean counter and waiting mug for your morning cuppa something good.
- Write down 3 things you’re grateful for today. Keep a journal on your nightstand.
- Start diffusing your favorite sleepytime essential oils in your bedroom an hour before you turn in. (Most nights my fave is doTERRA Lavender and Bergamot)
- Set out your workout clothes, shoes and gear for the next day.
- Load and run the dishwasher while you’re sleeping.
- Set your dental floss out by your toothbrush so you’ll do it.
Mini Morning Habits
- Brush your teeth first thing
- Drink a big glass of water before you drink anything else
- Unload the dishwasher while your coffee brews.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier than usual.
- Meditate for a minute. Just one minute.
- Read something inspirational, but short.
- Journal just one page.
- Look at your planner and calendar for the day and set your intention.
- Replace sugary breakfasts with something else.
This list could go on and on.
You gotta live your own life and think of what ONE mini habit you can start.
And then continue. You’ve got this!